John A. Waters, M.D., established Complete Eye Care on the premise that he would dramatically improve the patient-physician relationship and create a more personalized form of healthcare. He has devoted his career to patient advocacy in the insurance maze and has sought to educate patients not only about their health but on their healthcare choices. In addition, he has ensured that he and his staff are trained in the best cultural competence and health literacy practices in order to tailor eye care to meet individual patient needs.
Dr. Waters received his medical degree from Northwestern University in 1983 and is Board Certified by the American Board of Ophthalmology. He is committed to medical research, continuing education, and his involvement with professionals in ophthalmology and medicine in general.
Leader in Ophthalmology and the Medical Community
- 2018 to present – Dr. Waters was elected as an Alternate Delegate to the American Medical Association
- 2017 – Dr. Waters receives a Physician Leadership Award for his work with GCMS and GFHC on water-related health concerns in the Flint community.
- 2016 to present – Dr. Waters serves as Treasurer of the MSMS
- 2013 to present – Dr. Waters serves as Director of District 6 for the Michigan State Medical Society (MSMS)
- 2011 to present – Dr. Waters serves on the Board of Directors for the Greater Flint Health Coalition (GFHC)
- 2011 – Dr. Waters received the “Super Service Award” from Angie’s List.
- 2009 – Dr. Waters is elected to serve as President of the Genesee County Medical Society (GCMS) and continues to serve today on the GCMS Board of Directors.
- 2008 – Dr. Waters receives the Community Caring Award from Health Access for his annual participation in “Covering the Uninsured.”
- 2004 – Dr. Waters introduces intraocular focusing lenses for cataract surgery, which greatly reduce the need for glasses after surgery.
- 2004 – Dr. Waters launches the new iris registration technology for custom LASIK allowing patients to see better than 20/20.
- 2003 – Dr. Waters is the first ophthalmologist in Genesee County to perform Conductive Keratoplasty (CK), the first procedure specifically designed for people with hyperopia (farsightedness) and presbyopia (the need for reading glasses).
- 2000 – Dr. Waters is the first ophthalmologist in Mid-Michigan to introduce the GDx nerve fiber analyzer, allowing him to detect glaucoma before patients suffer vision loss.
- 1998 – Dr. Waters opens The Surgery Center, Genesee County’s first and only freestanding, multi-specialty outpatient surgery center.
- 1996 – Dr. Waters introduces LASIK to Genesee County. LASIK is the first laser procedure designed for people with myopia (nearsightedness) and astigmatism.
- 1992 – Dr. Waters is the first ophthalmologist in Genesee County to perform Lamellar Keratoplasty, the precursor to LASIK, which was designed for people with myopia (nearsightedness).
- 1991 – Dr. Waters is the first ophthalmologist in Genesee County to use topical anesthesia with cataract surgery, greatly improving the experience for patients.
- 1990 – Dr. Waters is the first ophthalmologist in Genesee County to perform small incision, no-stitch cataract surgery.
Dr. Waters specializes in :
Vision Correction Services
- Custom LASIK
- Blade-Free iLASIK
- Focusing Lens Implants including Symfony, Crystalens and Toric IOLs
- Glasses and Contact Lenses
- Topical Anesthesia (no injection)
- Small Incision
- Focusing lenses to avoid glasses after surgery
- Scanning Laser Ophthalmoscopy – Early Detection Tests
- The latest surgical and non-surgical treatments
- Diabetic Eye Diseases
- American Academy of Ophthalmology
- American College of Eye Surgeons
- American College of Surgeons
- American Medical Association
- American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgeons
- Assistant Clinical Professor at MSU College of Human Medicine
- Genesee County Medical Society
- Michigan State Medical Society
- Society for Excellence in Eye Care
Personal Interests and Commitments:
- Dr. Waters is an avid runner, competing in half marathons and marathons.
- Dr. Waters is an Eagle Scout and volunteers for Troop 219 in Fenton.
- Dr. Waters participates with the U.S. Department of Agriculture for the conservation of wildlife habitats.
- Dr. Waters also enjoys scuba diving, hunting, fishing, white water canoeing and exploring the boundary waters with his family.